Sunday, March 19, 2006

Adventures of a Black Girl In Search of God, HCT

The story of how people who lose their faith, sometimes get it back again is shown in the inspired play Adventures of a Black Girl in Search of God. Rainey, played mesmerizingly by Karen Robinson, was happily married to her preacher husband with a daughter she adored, and a thriving medical practice. When the child dies in her mother’s arms from Meningitis, Rainey’s world loses all meaning. She pops so many pills to dull pain that she's literally torn her stomach apart creating a void and urge for eating dirt and ash. She has abandoned her profession, and concentrates instead on writing a thesis on the Death of God, while her marriage is in tatters and her beloved father is dying of a heart condition. Humour is provided in the antics of her father and friends who set about liberating lawn jockeys, and revealing Ontario black heritage history, while the entire show melds laughter and tears and emotions in flux.

The ancestors are a 15 member ensemble and life blood of the show, filling the stage with amazing vocals, sometimes percussion and all around mesmerizing music as well as constant motion and non stop beauty for the eye, while acting barefoot, as a creek, with their movement. A very confrontational performance style was powerfully shared on stage, by very talented actors, who also participated musically in varying degrees. Jackie Richardson made such a huge difference to the music, and thereby to the entire audience reaction to the play! What a powerful presence. What soulful voice. So dramatic! Charismatic! I think it has taken me such a long time to do a review because for me it was really meaningful show. And I really studied it. And, it moved me. And, I was delighted to get the foh staff invited to the cast party.

***
My parents and sister went to see the play, and had to leave in the middle with a theatre departer's commotion, because my dad couldn't stand the music, and was uncomfortable.
***
There is a very moving scene near the end, when the couple in process of divorce, reunite. I sobbed my head off every time I saw the show, and never later than that scene. I was recovering from my own divorce so the weeping was no doubt therapuetic but anyway, the momma character has a weird thing about the earth at the edge of Negro Creek and sometimes she even eats some of it. In this magical scene, her former lover calls her on it - he has seen her do it, and to communicate that, he does it too. Then they embrace...

A patron, one time after the show, said to me "Imagine! A man who would eat dirt for you." and I understood what she meant. I want that too. I long for a man who would climb a mountain and swim a river to be with me. Meanwhile, I am holding out for a man that I would eat dirt for. Do you know what I mean?

***


holy crap, is that bury me blues song ever HOT!
"if you don't call out my name i will not be alright" hot hot hot.

while, as for the feminist/chick factor, i remember a chick voice at hillside getting more laughter "he stole that from me you know." and, nathan lawr's chick laden video with the travelling set proves zunior is a really great place visit too... i watched it about 8 times in a row my first time... you should check it out!


***

No comments: