Sunday, March 12, 2006

T.O. Twang, CIBC Stage

The festival at Harbourfront Aug 12-14, hailed as the city’s first and only alt-country festival was called 'T.O. Twang'. But don't be fooled! My favourite acts weren't from our fair city at all, and they weren't as country as you might presume either.

The events were mostly hosted by singer/songwriter Carolyn Mark, friend to many of her fellow festival performers. Including Luther Wright, who appeared Saturday afternoon with almost all new Wrongs, and who I think has a new girl to go with all the new songs. I don’t envy her the one about living out of a van with no money for gas. My favourite song of the set was the romantic cover (of Chris Brown/Kate Fenner's road song) about "I'll drive while you sleep."

This writer in particular would like to thank Luke Doucet for an epiphany inducing set with the introduction of the song about his brother "only by the grace of god will I see you again." The songsmith shared with the crowd that his relation in Winnipeg is a part time prep chef and a part time crack dealer, depending on what point in the viscous circle you find yourself finding him. "If a songwriter can't make use of material like that, then who can?" Why is heartbreak or disaster often so beautiful? Speaking of beauty, he shared the stage with base playing Colleen Hodgson and a glockenspiel angel I sense is his new love interest. I admired his sense of rhythm, harmony, melody and complementary chords that make a sweet yet and rocking guitar sound. Doucet is widely known for playing guitar in Sarah McLachlan's touring band, and as the frontman of the critically acclaimed Vancouver psychedelic-rock trio Veal, which has independently released three albums in Canada. Born in Halifax, Doucet grew up in Winnipeg, and contends, "I'm not getting any younger. I want to make music that ages gracefully. Look at Neil Young and Blue Rodeo. The door doesn't shut at 40. I think making music that ages gracefully is inclusive to roots music."

Also from Winnipeg is Nathan, a band nominated for a 2005 JUNO award for Roots and Traditional album of the Year. Appearing on the CIBC stage with their kooky and often dark lyrics, drums, bass, electric and acoustic guitars, a banjo, an accordion, their humour and sound exploded during the live show. I like the song about being a freak. And I like that I spotted their friend Michael Johnston in the crowd with a festival worthy cap! But, my absolute favourite was the instrument Shelly joked was made in the basement out of kraft slices: a theremin, an instrument unique in that it is played without being touched. Two antennas protrude - one controlling pitch, and the other controlling volume. As a hand approaches the vertical antenna, the pitch gets higher. Approaching the horizontal antenna makes the volume softer. So go ahead, try and tell me this is a small town straightforward country band. Michael Wrycraft summed it up best when he said "if David Lynch had directed O Brother Where Art Thou, Nathan's music would be the soundtrack."

No comments: